The Dangers of Rat Poison to Dogs and Cats

There are four main ingredients in rat poison that can be very dangerous to dogs and cats

Anticoagulant rodenticides

The first ingredient is ACRs. They are known to inhibit that the amount of Vitamin K that can be produced in the body. Therefore, the dog or cat is not going to be able to clot their blood properly when the ingest the rat poison in large amounts. This means that the dog or cat is going to start to have internal bleeding. Some of the signs that the pet owner needs to look for is when the pet is lethargic, pale gums, vomiting, swelling or bumps on the skin, bleeding in the gums, breathing difficulties, coughing with blood, bloody nose, collapsing, or even death. The treatment for this is Vitamin K1 by mouth for about 30 days, oxygen, supportive care, decontamination, blood transfusions, and plasma transfusions.


The second ingredient is Vitamin D3 or cholescalciferol. The pet is only going to need to ingest a small amount for it to be harmful to them. It is going to cause for the calcium inside of the body to increase, which is going to cause kidney failure in the dog or cat. Some of the signs of this type of poisoning that the pet owner is going to need to look for is weight loss, kidney failure, decreased or increase in urination or thirst, inappetance or anorexia, death, tremors, halitosis, and weakness or lethargy. This type of poisoning can be very expensive to treat because the pet is going to need to be in the hospital for about a week. This is where they are going to be able to receive aggressive therapy with IV fluids in order to push out the calcum and poisons out of the kidneys.


The third ingredient is Bromethalin. This is going to cause swelling in the brain or a cerebral edema. Even though it sounds like brodifacoum and bromadiolone, it does not have anything to do with clotting and cannot be treated with Vitamin K. Some of the signs that a pet owner needs to be looking for is walking drunk, tremors, coma, death, seizing, vomiting, anxiety, or lethargy. The treatment is going to be done to induce the vomiting in the dog or cat. The vet is going to administer some activated charcoat, IV fluids, muscle relaxants, supportive car, and medications for the seizures.


The fourth ingredient is Phosphides. Even though this poison is less common, it can be very dangerous to humans along with your dog and cat. Most of the time, this type of poison is going to be used to kill the bigger creatures like a gopher or mole. If it is ingested by the dog or cat, it is going to cause a toxic gas known as phosphine gas inside of the stomach. Some of the things that a pet owner needs to be looking for in their pet is death, lethargy or weakness, inappetance, bloated, drooling, gas, anorexia, and difficulty breathing. In order to treat the pet, you will have to make sure that you don’t feed them. This is because the food in the stomach can make it worse by producing even more of the gas. If you know that the pet got in this time of poisoning, try not to inhale the poison. This means that when the pet starts to vomit, the area needs to be well ventilated like opening up the windows and turning on air conditioner. The treatment plan is also going to include medication for the vomiting, IV fluids, antacids, and supportive care.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *